Short Courses / Acting / Movement
1 evening p/w / 10 weeks / 7.00pm - 9.30pm
Discover a new movement vocabulary to aid character exploration utilising the endless expressive possibilities of the actor’s body.
Course InformationType: Evening
Duration: 1 evening p/w, 10 weeks, 7.00pm - 9.30pm
If you have any further questions, enquire and we'll contact you.
Physical Theatre is a ten week course exploring the transformative techniques employed by the physical actor in performance. Students are introduced to physical exercises and movement improvisation to discover the expressive possibilities of their bodies.
Working from a selection of scenes by writers including Steven Berkoff, Marie Jones, Martin McDonagh; the participants will be introduced to the physical skill set necessary for playing physically demanding multiple characters of all ages, shapes and sizes, animals, supernatural beings and beyond.
A short course for anyone wanting to expand their range and evolve their creative process.
The body says things that words cannot. Martha Graham
TERMS & CONDITIONS click to
- ALL COURSES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE. Please see our Covid-related policy below.
- All courses must be paid in full in advance with The Lir Academy, unless otherwise agreed in writing that a payment instalment plan has been approved.
- We can only accept bookings from participants over the age of 18 years. Participants under the age of 18 wishing to book onto any of our youth programmes must organise for a parent or guardian to book on their behalf.
- In the event of government restrictions preventing us from delivering a course in-person, we will move the course online or defer the start date to later in the year. Anyone who does not wish to participate in an online course, or participate in the course at a later date, will be offered a full refund.
- Refunds will not be offered for any course moving online. Anyone who cannot participate in the course at a later date will be offered a full refund.
- We do not offer refunds, discounts or offers of deferred placement to any customer on the basis that they are concerned about exposing themselves to any risk of infection.
- We are unable to offer any refunds, discounts or offers of deferred placement to short course customers on medical grounds (sick, injured, infection, in pain, lost voice etc.)
- No refunds, discounts or offers of deferral will be given to customers based on financial difficulties.
- No refunds, discounts or offers of deferral will be given to customers based on course dates no longer being suitable – unless the original advertised dates have been changed by The Lir Academy.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds, discounts or deferred placement due to family bereavement.
- No refunds, discounts or deferrals will be offered to any customer who misses classes on any of our short courses.
- No refunds, discounts or deferrals will be offered to any customer who booked the wrong course or who decides, once it has begun, that they do not wish to complete the course.
Covid Health & Safety Policy
- The health & safety of our staff and participants is of utmost importance – and The Lir Academy ensures that all live workshops take place in studios where the strictest health and safety guidelines are adhered to and live training will only resume when it is safe to do so.
- All participants must adhere to the strict health & safety procedures when inside The Lir Academy. Details of these procedures will be sent to all course participants before arriving at The Lir Academy to start their course.
- The Lir Academy reserves the right to refuse entry to any person who is not wearing suitable PPE.
- In the event of a course being postponed/rescheduled by The Lir Academy, we will notify all participants in writing at the earliest possible time. Should the new dates / times not suit the participant, a full refund or deferred place will be offered. Should the new dates / times not suit the participant, a full refund or deferred place will be offered.
- Please note that while every effort will be made to avoid it, courses may need to be cancelled due to changes in tutor availability.
- In the event that a course is interrupted due to Covid-19 restrictions, we will work with the participants to resume the course to maximise their availability and attendance.
- The Lir Academy reserves the right to change the tutor team on any course at any stage of its duration.
- Gifting Courses to friends / family - Please note that no exceptions will be made to our standard cancellation policy for customers who have purchased courses for a friend or family member, who end up being unable or uninterested in attending the course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to hear more about our Gift Vouchers.
- Code of Conduct - The Lir Academy prides itself on providing all our staff, students and course participants with a vibrant, dynamic and safe working environment. As an Academy, we are committed to welcoming an inclusive & diverse range of people into our organisation – and we welcome all persons regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability or race. The academy operates a zero-tolerance policy regarding bullying & harassment of any nature, and will expel without refund, any person(s) found to be engaged in bullying or anti-social behaviour of any kind.
- A comprehensive listing of all Lir Academy policies is available here - https://thelir.ie/policies
Insurance click to
It is strongly recommended that all participants insure themselves to cover the loss of fees in the event of illness, for which The Lir Academy cannot accept any liability.